I use Exchange 2010 SP1 with Update Roll up 6 and Blackberry Enterprise Server Express for Microsoft Exchange Version 5.0.3 (Bundle 12).Steps that have been taken trying to solve the issue: None of them have fixed the issue. I think I need to start from beginning again to troubleshoot this, any thought to look at the system log in Windows Server 2008. Additional Information: @xeon, I have suspecion that Windows Update somehow screw this up.
In Exchange Administrator, enable the Service Account Admin permission for the new Black Berry Enterprise Server service account in both the Site and Configuration containers. Make sure calender is set to “Synchronize Wireless” If it is set to sync then wipe the blackberry and re-sync it on the BES server.newbie here my calendar is not syncing up well, when an entry in Outlook is made, my BB calendar updates right away when an entry in my BB calendar is made, it is not updating my Outlook calendar. I send an email from my BB, it shows up in my Outlook sent box right away. Search for one way calendar sync - there is a suggested fix in that thread We had the same issue with most of our users - the permissions (I think that is in the one way calendar sync thread) were set correctly but the other fix has to do with the files on the BES and Exchange - once I got the server guys to make them match up we were good.In the past, normally, rebooting the BES Server will fix all of the issue. I did run the Windows Update on for the Exchange 2010 server. However, the users reported the issue from [email protected] Pilbrow, I am very surprise the BESAdmin is not a member of Domain Admins.I have added BESAdmin as a member of Domain Admins.